Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbines are Ruining Aviation

Turbines are Ruining Aviation
    We must get rid of turbine engines. They are ruining aviation. We need to go back to big round engines. Anybody can start a turbine, you just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My computer is more difficult to start.
    Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. On some planes, the pilots are not even allowed to do it. Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot and start whining louder.
    Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho belch or two, more clicks, a lot of good smelling smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing.
    When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting. Turbines don't break often enough, leading to aircrew boredom, complacency and inattention.
    A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow at any minute. This helps concentrate the mind. Turbines don't have enough control levers to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during the flight. Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman lanterns. Round engines smell like God intended flying machines to smell.
    I think I hear the nurse coming down the hall. I gotta go.

Originally posted by stoppe View Post
    Turbines are Ruining Aviation
    We must get rid of turbine engines. They are ruining aviation. We need to go back to big round engines. Anybody can start a turbine, you just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My computer is more difficult to start.
    Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. On some planes, the pilots are not even allowed to do it. Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot and start whining louder.
    Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho belch or two, more clicks, a lot of good smelling smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing.
    When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting. Turbines don't break often enough, leading to aircrew boredom, complacency and inattention.
    A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow at any minute. This helps concentrate the mind. Turbines don't have enough control levers to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during the flight. Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman lanterns. Round engines smell like God intended flying machines to smell.
    I think I hear the nurse coming down the hall. I gotta go.

I don't care who you are, that there is funny!
    CFII Amphibion

Comment

But also very true. Makes me feel young again.
      Robert P. Kittine, Jr. - West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. - New York

Comment

True, but once you've experienced the power of a PT-6.......dang!!! It's just getting past the smell, as they say......

Mike

Comment

I would like to add glass panels to that. Now that I have gone full circle back to a 1946 Tail Dragger, I am happy to have a turn coordinator and a compass.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rkittine View Post
            I would like to add glass panels to that. Now that I have gone full circle back to a 1946 Tail Dragger, I am happy to have a turn coordinator and a compass.

Bob
            A turn coordinator???? Hmmmmm. All I have is a slip/skid ball......Man, you're really pretty high tech!

Mike

Comment

In the glider though it is just some wool string on the canapoy.

Bob

Comment

"I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning..."

No, really, I do! Just waiting for my first chance to fly a turbine-powered seaplane... (c:
                -Michael Pearson
                "If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair"

Comment

Slightly better than Napam. When I was flying a B99, you couldnt even hear the whine.

Comment

Working...
                  X