Floatplane mooring ideas please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floatplane mooring ideas please

I have a Cessna Skyhawk XP on straight floats. I'm in a situation where I need to keep the airplane on a mooring. I realistically will not be able to check on the airplane every day so I am looking for suggestions and ideas on how to ideally get the airplane off the water while on a mooring. I have been thinking of some type of float system that would be similar to the drive on jet ski or boat systems. Since it will not be attached to a dock I won't be able to power on. I'm also concerned about tying the airplane off to the float. I'll also have to move the system in and out of the water once a year so modularity & portability are important. Your ideas (pictures would be great) are very appreciated. Thank you.

Can you moor a floating dock? Land or Depart or either side? I have a 6'x20' Floating Dock, build by a local boat dock company. Heavy S/S chains are used two hold it to the tether line. You would need a Really Heavy and correctly designed mushroom anchor or a old large engine block. Of course you need to check with the local authorities if anyone has jurisdiction over a mooring field. A friend of mine has one about 15'x20' and has a BBQ Grill bolted to it and when he returns he and his wife sometimes use it as a deck and grill food and eat at a collapsible table and chairs. The whole thing would probably always rotate into the wind.

Bob
    Robert P. Kittine, Jr. - West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. - New York

Comment

Thank you rkittine. I can moor a floating dock and it is what I have been thinking about. Do you or your friend just tie the airplane off to the dock or is there any type of system to float the airplane onto? I have a fear (perhaps an unnecessary one) that if the airplane goes unchecked for perhaps as long as a week that I don't go down and find it sunk. I would feel more comfortable if I could get the airplane floating on something. I have seen ramp and float systems that attached to a shore attached dock and trying to think through ideas that I could replicate on a moored dock.

Comment

Trying to get a plane up onto something with straight floats seems like a lot of work. When I built my house on the water my intent was to put in a lift but some after finishing the house, the town banded seaplane operations where I built.

The float he has, has typical boating cleats so the floats are tethered to the dock. Some of the seaplane operators near where I live have really large moored docks out in the bay where seaplane operations are legal and then off load and bring people to shore by boat. If you are going to leave a plane unattended for any period of time you will always have some danager.

Bob
        Robert P. Kittine, Jr. - West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. - New York

Comment

Mark,
          See my post dated 1/16 under floating docks.
          TR Dunn

Comment

Working...
          X